Sunday 30 March 2008

British Summer Time and discoveries...

what a lovely day! the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the waft of home made bread is coming from the kitchen, sighhhhh.
took some photos while the sun was out - first, some 10" embroidered squares I have just finished for my patchwork curtains. The project is going to take longer than I thought, but I am frantically learning PATIENCE! lol
When Grandma moved into a home several years ago, I cleared out her sewing room. Most of the stuff has been sat in two huge baskets in a cupboard since then, so decided to go through it all last night. There is still a lot of Lace making equipment I haven't attempted to sort out, but while going through the rest of the stuff came across some real gems!
These are all transfers for embroidery - for King George VI! and as you can see the date is 1937 making them about 71 years old.
found a couple of her hat pins, and remember her always having a small brown jug on the windowsill in the kitchen with them all in - I now want to collect hat pins!
There's a whole tin full of buttons she had collected off old garments, strung together with wool, then found another tin with all these old linen shirt buttons - too nice to use!
and these wonderful 1970's buttons from the co-op - I remember having a cardigan she knit me with the orange buttons on - ahhh, nostalgia!
Life couldn't get much nicer! and the sewing room got a lovely glass cupboard added yesterday courtesy of Husband who cleaned it all up and installed it. this is a special message for him, who thinks blog names are twee - Thank you Shauny Sugar Cakes, your buns are the sweetest of all! xxx


7 comments:

julia said...

Look at all those buttons....sigh. Some serious button envy going on here.
Can't wait to see the patchwork curtains.
Julia x

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Thank you so much for your visit and comment the other day.. lovely to meet you!
I find buttons are the adult equivalent to sweeties.. so irrisistible...
I remember those embroidery transfers from when I was a child.. I wish I had kept my mother's..

Michelex

Curlew Country said...

Ooooh I'm ever so envious of your collection. I love the pretty transfers and all those fabulous buttons. I'm trying to put a box together myself, just for the boys to look through really because I enjoyed my mum's button box so much. Lovely!
Stephx

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

those transfers are fab...

Twiggy said...

What a lovely collection of pretty things and all the prettier for coming from your grandma. I LOVE buttons
Twiggy x

saraeden said...

I love the blue buttons !!

Sara x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I have a thing for buttons - love your vintage button stash - it must be extra special as it came from your grandmother.