Wednesday 28 February 2018

My first Zero Waste shopping experience

I've been shopping! 
not very exciting really...but the changes I've made in a few weeks are having a massive impact on my bin - so I'm very happy - AND, it's been much easier than I anticipated.

So the story so far - well, like most people I have done the majority of my food shopping every week in the supermarkets. For me, with a husband who has a lot of food intolerance and a very tight budget, this has meant shopping at Aldi for fruit, veg and meat, Tesco for certain "free from" items, Booths for others...the list goes on. I also got a few bits from Blackburn Market each week, some fish, bits of meat, eggs etc. I felt like I was always shopping and then throwing away tonnes of packaging (although I had convinced the fish stall that the 3 pieces of fish I get each week don't all need their own plastic bags, than all to be put in another carrier bag) 



So after a few weeks of sewing up fruit and veg bags from an old duvet cover, saving up for a set of stainless steel containers (only cheap ones, not the best!) and asking the butcher on the market how he would feel about me using my own containers and him being quite positive, I set off for my first zero waste shop

A draw full of fresh packaging free veg


It was BRILLIANT! 

Everyone was so positive - the fruit and veg stall thought it was wonderful and complemented me on my bags, the Exchange Coffee Co were more than happy to fill my tins with coffee and loose tea, the bacon stall owner asked me about zero waste shampoos as she's trying to reduce plastics herself, the fish stall just grinned at me when I passed them a tin, and the meat stall laughed when I asked for as much chicken as he could cram in the tin - I even had a tiny tin that was just the right size for my toddlers weekly pie - wins all round...until I got to the cheese stall. Even though they have the full cheeses they had cut and pre-wrapped pieces in cling-wrap. They were not happy about cutting another piece for me, and instead spent ages weighing the pre-wrapped pieces to find the closest to the weight I wanted. As there is no other cheese stall and I know it all comes pre wrapped at the supermarket I gave in until I can find another supply! 

Stainless steel containers with meat, fish and bacon in - plastic free.

I did end up at the supermarket for a few bits and pieces, cereals and bread for my husband mainly and a few tins and jars, but overall I am really pleased - here's to the next shop! 

1 comment:

All Cotton and Linen said...

Thanks for the useful information. And, the following site is very helpful to provide zero waste or reusable products.

All Cotton and Linen , It provides many cotton products. Like, Produce bags and Blankets and etc.

The Spice People , It provides many quality Stainless Steel boxes and etc.

Please check and use it.