Sunday 8 January 2023

Welcome to #WAMSAL2023


Hello! And welcome to #WAMSAL2023! 


I have been plotting and planning, procrastinating and putting off - but sometimes you just have to say "sod it" and do the thing.

Who is up for a little stitch along? 

I wanted to make a start or a restart to my little JuicyFig business, but with all the to dos regarding Etsy at the moment, having no idea how to set up a website and looking for the perfect platform to set up my shop - well, it might take me a little longer than I anticipated - so to kick start myself I thought a nice gentle sew-along would be nice.

This is not a subscription or anything fancy, just somethingt I wanted to do myself and share with others, then I thought people might also like to join in as well. 

It is a  project, not a challenge. 

And - it is open to anyone at any time - I thought it would be nice to start in January and make it last a year, but it will be something you can do at any time.

It also won't be a strict "this is how it should be done" kind of project - basically I am trying to make a project even my own AuDHD brain can cope with.

So what is it?

It is a fabric book! 
Each month I am going to choose a word - you are welcome to use the same word, or choose a word that speaks to you personally.
The word is supposed to encapsulate that month - for me when I think about each months I have a a mental image, often a colour, a mood, a feeling or a desire of what I'd like that month to mean. 

Then, we will stitch a page of the book. You can incorporate the word, or suggest it as an abstract or literal image, and embellish it as much as you want or as much as time allows - if you have lots of time and want to work on it all month -- do! If you only have half an hour, then keep it simple. 

I will try and incorporate a particular stitch or technique with a tutorial so if you want to try you can do. 

At the end of the year we will then assemble the pages then the book with a wonderful slot technique paper book makers use and the amazing Anne Wood uses for her fabric books too.  (I think I have managed to work out how it's done with the amount of pages we will need)

The project is intended to be done by hand sewing, this way you take the time to slow down from the frantic pace of life. A machine sewing can be used if you want of to make certain bits quicker or easier, but it can all be done by hand if you don't own a machine, bondaweb and glue - all fine if it helps make it easier - and if you don't sew at all and don't want to - it could be done on a good quality paper! 

I will give a list of basic materials needed for what I will be doing each month, and a basic list to get you going. If you have scraps to use or even recycled textiles like clothes etc even better! (best of all if don't need to buy anything and use what you have - and keep your eye out in thrift stores and charity shops for amazing vintage supplies!) 

You can choose a colour scheme, make it bright, multicoloured, monochrome, whatever gives you joy


Each month I will be writing a blog post with my suggested word, explaining why I have chosen it, what it evokes for me - and a hashtag so you can share your work on Instagram or on my Facebook page 

#WAMSAL2023  #WordAMonthSewALong2023 

Interested?

I will be posting my First word etc in a few days but for now here are some suggested materials and equipment you may need.

Page fabric - pages will be approximately 13cm x 13cm this includes the seam allowance for when we assemble the book. 
You will need 16 (this makes a cover as well) in a woven fabric (not a stretch or knitted fabric) for stability. 
You could make these all the same fabric and colour or a different fabric and colour each month.
If you like to use an embroidery hoop you may need to cut them larger then trim to size after.

Scraps of other fabrics 

Embellishments - e.g. Buttons, lace, ribbons, rikrak, charms etc.

Sewing thread

Embroidery thread, crochet cotton, wool, whatever you have to hand

Bondaweb (not necessary but handy)

Pins

Sewing needles

Scissors

Embroidery hoop (not essential but may need one if you want to learn any of the embroidery stitches) 

Iron and ironing board/pad

Cup to tea or coffee.

So far January has been far busier than I anticipated so please be patient if I get a little behind.

Hopefully this week I will be doing a short video with January's word, what I will be making and some instructions on the stitch I am featuring this month for anyone unfamiliar with it. 

If you are joining in please show us your progress either on Instagram using the hashtag #WAMSAL2023. If people want me too I can also set up a Facebook page to share your work - just ask!

See you later in the week 

No comments: